Sunday, April 19, 2020

Creative in Quarantine

Every day, I find myself logging onto social media more often than not. I tend to lose track of time lately and I’m kinda sorta keeping track of what day it is—mostly. It appears every day, though, I see more and more creativity coming out of this quarantine. I’ve had articles and videos and ideas sent to me and I’ve laughed at them and loved them. And then I’ve turned to myself and thought, “Where are yours? Why aren’t you singing covers or rewriting songs that tell of our current way of life? Now’s the time to bring the TP selfies out of the airplane lavatory! (Well maybe not…with the shortage and all). But you’re a creative person. Why aren’t you creating!?” 

It’s so easy to fall into this idea that identity is found in what we do. It’s easy to believe you’ve fallen short of not only the expectations of others, but your own as well, if you haven’t done something with this “extra” time that you’ve been given. The truth is, though, that maybe it’s okay if you haven’t been your best self during this time. Maybe it’s something you’d like to change. Or maybe you get up every day and that’s enough for some at the moment. This is a strange time we’re living through and you don’t necessarily have to push yourself to the limit if what you really need is to use this time to actually rest. 

For those who are making videos, writing more, working out, sharing stories—KEEP DOING IT (if it’s making you happy) because it’s certainly bringing smiles to our homes! Thank you for what you’re doing. Thank you to those who are using this time to sit down and plan any dreams they let sit on the back burner. Thank you to those who are making it through the day even when dealing with uncertainty and frustration and anxiety. You matter. Thank you to those who are using their time to catch up on their favorite movies or video chat with people who they don’t talk to often enough. Thank you to those who are using their time to make our lives more convenient and safe as they go to work in hospitals and grocery stores and for delivery apps. Thank you to those who are dancing, singing, writing, running, cleaning, and social distancing. 

You’re still creative if you’re not creating right this minute. You're awesome. For those who are, you’re awesome, too.

I hope to join you soon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment