Thursday, July 25, 2013

It Starts with a Thought

I have a lot of ideas. Most of them never venture outside of my head. I think about what I can do to make the world a little brighter, get excited about the endless possibilities, and then I simply move on to the next idea without turning the aforementioned thought into some kind of reality. I'm a recent college graduate and have been biding my time reading and thinking hard about all that I want to do in the next year without really taking the steps to do so. I'm an aspiring singer/songwriter and yet my lyrics really haven't left the top of my piano. (My dog thinks they're nice - at least, she's never told me otherwise...) I've also studied theater and film for years and yet I convince myself that I have to reach a certain level as an actor/person/body type before I can submit myself for bigger projects. So I'll put things off and leave them as great "what-ifs" and "tomorrows". I recently had the pleasure of grabbing lunch with a former acting coach and good friend of mine. When I explained to her my frustration with feeling stuck, she brought up an interesting point: perhaps I was just as afraid of success as I was of failure. How would my life change if someone else heard my music and wanted to get it out there? Would I be worried that I wouldn't live up to casting directors' expectations once they hired me? Is it really better to stay and wait until someone finds me out instead of actively pursuing what I've always dreamed of? This got me thinking...again. So, she challenged me to start doing whatever it is I was thinking about - no matter how silly the ideas may be. She suggested that I do it for a week, but if all goes well, I may think about continuing this journey for a couple of months, even. Perhaps, eventually, expressing myself in this way will become a normal thing for me. It's a risk. Maybe nothing will come of it, but at least I will have done something. While my mind has been active, my person has been idle and I'm simply not having it any longer. When I feel inspired, I don't want to keep that feeling inside anymore. Therefore, for the next week, I will keeping this blog to document it all - for accountability's sake. I'm sure my friends will keep me honest when they see me. I would hope that they would ask me if a specific idea has come to fruition. This way of thinking paired with my belief that with God, all things are possible, there really doesn't seem to be a downside to this. Here's to the thought process and beyond! I'll let you know how it goes :) After all, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ― Henry Ford So, Laura, I accept your challenge. Please keep in mind that it is currently 1:30 AM. Some of this may sound like a rambling on of sorts. I hope this still makes sense in the morning. Day 1: I thought about creating this blog and sharing it with my friends. How am I doing so far?

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Love,
    Only a week? Ggiiiirrrrlllllllll your in this thing for the long haul and if life didn't evolve we'd be severely unsatisfied as artists. So go for it because . . . God gave the talent, You give the effort :)

    ReplyDelete