Sunday, July 28, 2013

And Continues with a Conversation

Well...in true Heather fashion, I have put off documenting my experiences this week. But it is Sunday now, and I can relax and reflect back on the last few days. I have been successful in some areas and have failed in others - such is life. Though, I have been more aware of my thoughts and have been a lot more careful with what I say and put out into the world as of late. However, I have also been less cautious when it comes to actually speaking to people I don't know. (I'm not sure if this is making much sense - let me give examples.) I was so pumped for this challenge and on Thursday, I threw myself into it. I had written a song for a friend of mine who is currently battling cancer. It sat, untouched, for days; there was nothing to it but lyrics an chords. I had thought about recording it so that she would be able to hear it. It's amazing what doors can open when you simply ask around and do something you find to be important. On Wednesday, I called up a good friend who I have written, recorded, and sung with and asked him for this favor. We were in his studio the very next day. He created an acoustic guitar melody that matched my chord progression and we got the short song onto a music file. I was able to go home that day, burn the file onto a CD and get it to her ASAP. (By the way, Josh, she loved it!) Let me tell you that it only made me want to do more. I wasn't sitting around! I was getting stuff done! However, I knew I wanted to pace myself so that this would be a challenge that would last longer than just a week. So that night, I danced around in my kitchen while baking cookies and chatting with friends that I hadn't seen in a while. I had some great conversations with people that, I'll confess, I am sometimes unsure about messaging due to the fact that I haven't spoken to them in quite some time. Perhaps, that is the beauty of friendship in a technologically-advanced world. You really can just pick up where you left off. And to think that I wouldn't have heard encouraging words or silly statements from these friends out of fear things may be awkward after a certain amount of time has passed. What conversations are you missing out on due to fear? People are incredible. Everyone has their own story to tell. Sometimes I worry about fitting in. I don't know you. I shouldn't really speak to you. I'm not suggesting that "stranger danger" is a thing of the past, but you'd be surprised at how starved for good conversation some people seem to be. (Myself included) Yesterday, I stopped into Coffee Bean to grab an iced latte. The barista asked me if I was having a good day and seemed genuinely interested in my answer. There were no other customers waiting, so I responded and asked her the same question. She mentioned that she was excited to go home and spend the rest of the day with her son. We discussed the fact that he liked the arts and I told her that I had a degree in the arts. We started talking about music as The Cranberries came on the radio; I mentioned that my a capella group in high school covered one of their tunes which led to her writing down the name of the group so that she could look us up and spread the word. She agreed that these programs should be kept in schools - perhaps it would make a better world for her son. I don't know where the rest of the day or weekend took her, but what if that conversation encouraged her to talk to her son's school about a singing group? Maybe I'm dreaming, but she definitely brightened my day; I hope I had brightened hers as well. A similar thing happened at a local pub last night. I was meeting one of my good friends for drinks. I showed up, but he was running a bit late due to the fact that he had stopped to help a stalled car on the 405. (He may have been 30 minutes late, but I couldn't really blame him for being a good Samaritan...) All I really wanted to do as I waited at the table was mess around on my phone until he showed up. The shy part of me wanted to stay in my own little world until my friend came, but another part of me thought about what people did in bars before smart phones were glued to our palms. So, I ordered a whiskey sour and struck up a conversation with those around me. I talked with a few people about everything from music and acting, best places in which to live, traveling, and perspectives on the world. The minutes flew, and I found myself joking and being comfortable in this unfamiliar place. My friend showed up and we got to catch up just the same. Yet, I feel that I got more out of my night by making the decision to interact with more people instead of just my phone. Later that evening, without really worrying about how odd it may sound, I told a guy who had come to the table that he had really cool eyes. (They were insane!) I think if you have something nice to say, you should say it! He ended up joining the conversation and we now have a contact up in San Francisco if we ever want to visit. Of course, this weekend is merely the beginning. I have written letters to a few people - letters that I had always planned to send, but never did. They're going in the mail tomorrow. I have auditions this week. I will prepare and just go for it - without fear. This is my goal for the next few days. I'm hoping it won't be too long before I recount what happens next :) Thanks for reading - now go out there and have a conversation with someone new or an old friend! Just get talking!

No comments:

Post a Comment